Ice cream lovers rejoice! We’ve found out that the delicious ice cream you eat that makes you happy also has some significant health benefits. There is no denying that ice cream isn’t exactly a health food. Its main ingredients are cream/high-fat milk, sugar or fructose/glucose based sweetener and flavoring.
Significant health benefits of ice cream include;
1. Stimulates the brain- Ice cream stimulate serotonin/thrombotonin which is responsible for aiding learning, sleep and overall mood well-being. Serotonin helps to reduce the level of stress in the body. Ice cream is made of milk which contains L-triptophane, which is a natural tranquilizer and helps in relaxing the nervous system. It also helps prevent symptoms of insomnia.
2. Source of vitamins- Ice cream happens to be a huge source of vitamin A which helps improve eye sight and immune system, vitamin D which helps to absorb calcium and other healthy nutrients from food and stores them in the kidney, vitamin C to improve immune system, vitamin E and B-vitamins to improve memory and nervous system. It also contains vitamin K which prevent blood clotting.
3. Source of minerals- Ice cream does provide your body with a handful of key nutrients including calcium and phosphorus which helps to maintain strong bones and teeth and reduces the chances of kidney stone. Calcium and phosphorus also prevents the chances of premenstrual syndrome.
4. Boost sex drive- Fairly high levels of calcium and phosphorus helps build your muscles energy reserve and boost libido. A brain chemical, dopamine is released by brain when you eat ice cream. Dopamine is a natural mood booster and is responsible for elation and pleasure.
5. Provides energy- Ice cream is a good choice when you need energy or if you are pursuing a program to gain weight. It is rich in carbohydrates, proteins and fats, which are all needed for our bodies to produce energy. Decent amount of proteins in it is important in tissue repair and cell growth.
There is no need dying inside, resisting a big bite of that delicious ice cream, but eat in moderation. A bid scoop a week is enough to gain all these nutritional benefits of ice cream. Over eating of ice cream can nullify all the benefits that you’ve gained and can also affect your health.
Note: Ice cream contain fats so its excessive intake would raise the cholesterol in blood which could lead to plaque buildup. Also contains high amount of sugar that could lead to rise in blood sugar, weight gain and abnormal fluctuation of hormones. Presence of lactose might cause digestive problems such as bloating and flatulence.
Choose your flavors wisely and eat responsibly. Remember! Everything in moderation.